Wednesday, August 12, 2009

...And a final sweet something - Laduree


To complete my hat trick of sweet delights this week, I decided to visit an institutional Parisian patisserie. Acting principally on the trusted advice of a former inhabitee of Saint-Germain, my friend Annie, I Velib-ed (Paris rent-a-bikes) my way from the 13th arrondissment north to the 7th.

Again, I would not include myself among the most religious lovers of things sweet. And again, I was alarmingly made aware of what else I didn't know about my own palate. Rows of macaroons - a rainbow of colours, a plethora of flavours - occupy the majority of the counter, behind which a brigade of bi- tri- four-bags-full-lingual assistants delicately place requests in ornately patterned Georgian-jade coloured boxes for you to take away and cherish. You are forgiven for forgetting that they are indeed to be eaten - if not at once.

These are the product of a commitment to perfection, as well as a very real duty to answer a demand - I have heard that in the Champs Elysee branch alone 12,000 of these little bad boys are shifted daily. At 10€ for 8, you do the maths!

Among my packet of pleasure, there was sticky, buttery caramel, nutty pistachio and jammy raspberry. Choosing your combination is fun enough; eating them a whole other thing.

Sheer intrigue left my box half empty before I'd even manage to take a photograph of the shop front. And with that - my picture, a sugar rush and a feeling of satisfaction - I felt composed to go on and continue my day in search of the next Parisian surprise.

1 comment:

  1. I love Laduree, I had forgotten all about this emporium of excellence. See you parked your car outside Adam...

    ReplyDelete