Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sweet Thing - Flat peaches...

"Another stall had...curious-looking flat, white peaches which I'd never encountered before coming to Paris but [which] became my favourite fruit". (Michael Booth)

Naturally, I had to try one. Sure enough, on my next visit to the fruit stand, I came across the pesche blanche and willingly threw three into my basket. I had assumed that they were unripe and would need a couple of days. Curiosity and craving would soon overwhelm any patience or logic I had previously intentioned: I reasoned after a most unscientific of prods that they were fine and began tucking in.

Alas, Booth was right. They're amazing! I urge anybody, whenever they can, to enjoy this wonderful fruit. I found it to be everything I always want from a peach but which am frequently and frustratingly hard-pressed to find. (In England, that is). It is more subtle, less acidic than a regular peach; a candy-like, almost exotic flesh. Needless to say, I greedily ate all three and after what was initial ecstasy, they have become a welcome and staple resident in the fruit bowl.

1 comment:

  1. Mouth watering delight (the peaches) cannot wait to try them.
    I would like you to find an exceptional vegetarian eatery now Adam.x

    ReplyDelete